About Pacific Nurseries
For the short story about how Pacific Nurseries has grown into California’s longest operating Wholesale Nursery, just click the History + Timeline below.
We began originally as a small, retail nursery in San Francisco. And over 150 years later, with the addition of more facilities, our plant inventory has increased to over 36 acres. And unlike many wholesale nurseries, we’re both a grower and a plant broker with an extensive and trusted network of specialty plant providers.
We continue to make investments to improve our facilities, provide the widest possible selection of plants, and integrate new technologies to improve customer service.
Our green practices include container recycling, low-water irrigation systems, and a bio-diesel powered delivery fleet. This helps us reduce our environmental impact, minimize our carbon footprint, and improve Bay Area quality of life.
About Pacific Nurseries | History + Timeline
1869 | Pacific Nurseries opens for business on Chestnut Street in San Francisco as a small, retail nursery
1906 | Pacific Nurseries survives the San Francisco earthquake and fire
1912-1919 | Henry Von Kempf leads Pacific Nurseries
1920 | Pacific Nurseries relocates to Colma to better serve the growing community of customers in the South Bay
1920—1944 | Henry Von Kempf sustains leadership of Pacific Nurseries to become a leading supplier of plant material to Landscape Professionals
1945-1976 | Henry Von Kempf’s son, Paul, owns and operates Pacific Nurseries while expanding to meet the needs of customers throughout the entire Bay Area
1965—1967 | Demand for flowers and plants blossoms and a supplemental eight-acre growing ground was established in Mountain View
1967 | Lady Bird Johnson + Pat Nixon present Lou Schenone with the National Beautification Award in Washington D.C.
1972 | Facilities expansion continues to include the Sunol Yard
1972—1996 | Lead by Louis D. Schenone, and aided by Don Schenone, Dean L. Schenone, Anthony Tarlock, and Ed Le Vesconte, Pacific Nurseries incorporates in California and reaches new revenue heights
1980 | Pope John Paul II plants a Pacific Nurseries Redwood Tree | Sequoia sempervirens in the North American College of the Vatican on George Washington’s birthday
1997 | Don and Julie Baldocchi become owners of the nursery and make significant investments to improve facilities, expand plant selection, and integrate new technologies to improve customer service
2004 | Pacific Nurseries acquires the Saratoga Horticultural Foundation property in San Martin and names it Gabilan Growers to serve as a primary propagation facility + growing grounds for many CA native plants
2005 | With the closure of the Mountain View yard, Pacific Nurseries acquires King Island Growers in Stockton as a large facility optimized for growing more unusual, large trees in less typical sizes that are optimized for a wider climate range
Today | What began as a tiny retail nursery has now grown into the longest operating wholesale nursery in California serving Bay Area Landscape Professionals with personalized service, expert advice, competitive prices and an ever-expanding selection of plants